[LRUG] UK salaries? Just curious...

Richard Livsey richard at livsey.org
Fri Mar 7 06:55:14 PST 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Daniel Tenner <daniel.ruby at tenner.org> wrote:
> Well, you quickly get accustomed to the fact that you have to pay in
>  one week the amount that you'd pay in a month for a similarly sized
>  accommodation elsewhere. It just means you live somewhere much
>  smaller :-)

Or you do like I do and end up skint each month around rent day :o)

My money management scheme of earning more than you can spend doesn't
seem to work very well as I somehow  find I can always think of
something to spend money on!

> So you don't actually spend more - you just live in a much
>  smaller flat.
>
>  As for transport, so long as you're in London, a monthly travelcard
>  should pretty well sort that out.

+1 on that. I used to get a monthly oyster card which works well if
you are getting the tube to work each day.
I've changed to pay as you go at the moment as my new place is close
enough to work for me to run (starting monday, all kitted up with iPod
and Nike+ now) and the bus is a lot cheaper than the tube.

I'd like to re-iterate what has already been said about drink prices
and going out in London.
I had a night out in Leicester square the other night, was there from
about 6pm until 4am and spent about £40 in total.
The most expensive bit was the taxi home, but even then I shared it
with a few people. I could have got the bus and it would have cost a
couple of pounds.

It's pretty much the same as going out in any city in the UK, if you
go into a club or you drink cocktails then you're going to get stung.
Stick to beers or spirits + mixer etc... and it's not too bad.

--
Richard Livsey
Head of Technology, CitySafe