[LRUG] April meeting idea: If you show me yours, I'll show you mine

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 06:52:50 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I mentioned idea this to some people on Monday night and got a
positive enough response that I'm opening it up to a wider audience.

I figure that lots of people have probably written some code (be it
gems, rails plugins, collections of rake tasks or little
itch-scratcher scripts) that they're kinda proud of, but don't really
want to pad out a 5-10 minute demo / show-off into one of our
"traditional" 20-30 minute talks, so we never get to hear about it.
As a community we're probably missing out on a lot of sweet ruby
goodness because of that.

It's also pretty clear that this would be a perfect opportunity for
those showing off their code to find some help with the project, get
some feedback or just hear some new ideas about extending it.
Hopefully all this would help you make the final push towards
thousands of folk typing gem install my-super-awesome-ruby-code.

So, do people like the idea and, crucially, have something they could
bring in for Show'n'Tell?

We could fill a whole evening with 6 or so folk, or go half-and-half
with ~3 of these "Show'n'Tell" things and 1 longer form talk.  It
really depends if people are willing to offer up their nuggets of
ruby.

Of course, if anyone has something they *do* want to talk about for
longer, please do volunteer.

Muz