[LRUG] Sending a newsletter from rails

Tom Stuart tom at experthuman.com
Thu May 22 02:16:33 PDT 2008

On 22 May 2008, at 09:46, Jeremy Hoyland wrote:
> These are tasks we split, our apps (not Ruby -but that's immaterial)
> send out password reminders &c. Newsletters are sent by an external
> system/agency, Adestra in our case.
> Whether it's right to do this for you will depend on you business

Another easily-overlooked issue is that of integration with an
external platform like Adestra. In many cases it really is just a
question of offloading the entire problem to someone who's already
solved it (viz. deliverability, analytics etc), but increasingly
people want to do more than blast out a single generic email to a
hundred thousand customers, preferring instead a more customised/
personalised approach where each email is different (in a way more
sophisticated than can be achieved with a simple blanks-filling mail
merge), and so they either need to persuade third-party platforms to
do this or concentrate on doing the whole job themselves.

If a newsletter really is just a newsletter then it makes sense to
farm it out to an external platform and make the integration trivial
(in many cases that's as mindless as CSV export) but as
personalisation requirements increase it becomes more difficult and
expensive to bend a generic platform to your whim and hence more
attractive to do the email delivery in-house -- what you lose in
deliverability/analytics headaches you gain in flexibility and
control. Lots of the third-party email service providers do have quite
rich interfaces for personalised content but of course you'll be
making an investment in their platform if you use those interfaces,
with all of the lock-in risks that entails.

Rails does have plenty of decent native solutions for this problem
(ARMailer and BackgroundRb are only two) so it's worth thinking hard
about the trade-offs between cost of integration, benefits of
centralised control (personalisation, independence, futureproofing
etc) and benefits of the rich functionality (deliverability, analytics
etc) that you get from people whose only job is to deliver your email
for you, and make a choice based on getting the greatest number of
useful features for the lowest amount of hassle.

Cheers,
-Tom