[LRUG] EC2 as development server

Steve Ganly steve at concept-shop.com
Tue Nov 18 06:51:03 PST 2008

I can't tell if you fancy EC2 due to cost or the convenience of having
a ready to go Ubuntu installation.

Cost comparison:
  slicehost 256MB: US$20 pm
  Amazon US$0.10 per hour or (0.1*24*30) US$72 per month
  UK2 GB£14.95 pm

You might be able to get your EC2 cost lower than $20 per month by
keeping it turned off most of the time, but as far as I know the image
is still refreshed on each reboot, meaning you'll have to redo your
setup each time.

Getting Ubuntu configured for rails seems very straightforward - see
David's recent post:
  http://roninonrails.blogspot.com/2008/11/setting-up-ubuntu-810-for-ruby-on-rails.html

If it's the sysadmin skillset that worries you let me know - I can give
you a managed development slice for £25 per month.

Engine yard provide a very different service for US$249 per month, but
you may get lucky asking Ezra very nicely for a freebie... dunno, they
may be past that stage now.

Steve.