[LRUG] EC2 as development server

Zaheed Haque zaheed.haque at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 07:26:50 PST 2008

Thanks for all the input. I am checking things out.

2008/11/18 Steve Ganly <steve at concept-shop.com>:
> I can't tell if you fancy EC2 due to cost or the convenience of having
> a ready to go Ubuntu installation.

Couple of reasons

1. All our production site i.e. which is a customer requirement is on
EC2 and more to follow
2. I would prefer to have the same env. in the development it just
what i am used to.
3. Cost is not a big factor but 2500 USD start-up cost at rightscale
is just too much :(
4. Why development server, right now we don't have one as most of us
working out of a git repo but we feel soon we will need one just for
testing/staging etc. and why not EC2.

and most important reason there are many many folks writing all sorts
of cool blog post and ec2 plugins and you always find solutions to
your problem -- there are just too many folks doing EC2 :) thats a big
help. We are fixed on EC2 its just which tool should we use is the
question.

> Cost comparison:
>  slicehost 256MB: US$20 pm
>  Amazon US$0.10 per hour or (0.1*24*30) US$72 per month
>  UK2 GB£14.95 pm
>
> You might be able to get your EC2 cost lower than $20 per month by
> keeping it turned off most of the time, but as far as I know the image
> is still refreshed on each reboot, meaning you'll have to redo your
> setup each time.

Yes true but all the plugins etc have easy way to re-create the server
from a custom S3 image including database and what not -- so your
outage will be about 5 min or so its not a big problem.

> Getting Ubuntu configured for rails seems very straightforward - see

> David's recent post:
>  http://roninonrails.blogspot.com/2008/11/setting-up-ubuntu-810-for-ruby-on-rails.html

:) Yes, I have used it during my testing of various ec2 plugins. Thanks

> If it's the sysadmin skillset that worries you let me know - I can give
> you a managed development slice for £25 per month.

> Engine yard provide a very different service for US$249 per month, but
> you may get lucky asking Ezra very nicely for a freebie... dunno, they
> may be past that stage now.
> Steve.
>

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:27:34AM +0000, Zaheed Haque wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> We are thinking of using EC2  Ubuntu AMI to make it our development
>> server. I am wondering if anyone is doing that if so any do's and
>> don'ts. Also there are many tools like rubber, ec2onrails, poolparty,
>> rightscale, sclar etc any advice, I have tried all of the above to
>> avoid Rightscale's hefty monthly payment.. any options anyone
>> recommends. Free options are pretty much the same with the following
>> thought i.e 1 instance easy to get up but customization requires
>> digging deeper so before I do that I wonder are they any favorites.
>>
>> thanks again.
>> Zaheed

Regards

Zaheed Haque

Phone:      +44 (0) 7972 387987
E-mail:      zaheed at koonen.com
Skype:      zaheed_haque
WWW:     www.koonen.com

This email is without prejudice, confidential and intended solely for
the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or
opinions presented (including attachments) are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of the author. If you
are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing,
or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this email in error, please contact the sender. Whilst every effort
has been taken to ensure protection against virus infection, we cannot
accept any responsibility for viruses. Consequently, please ensure
that all attachments are virus checked prior to opening.