[LRUG] Ruby random cool word generator

James Smith james at floppy.org.uk
Thu Nov 13 03:32:54 PST 2008

2008/11/13 Geir Freysson <geir.freysson at gmail.com>:
> One thing that crossed my mind was to take the dictionary on my Linux
> box and randomly choose words from that. This however, would have the
> regrettable side effect of people getting screen names they might
> object to!

I was thinking this the other day - it would be very useful to have a
ruby gem that generated decent random usernames. We have a requirement
for "anonymous" posts on our site, but we still need to show a
username so that they don't look any different from normal posts.

> Anyone have any ideas for a solution? Are there any free collections
> of cool words out there? A ruby random cool word generator? A
> dictionary minus the sh**?

There are so many name generators out there, some of those must have
dictionaries that could be re-used, or even code that could be quickly
adapted. Would be nice to have a gem that generated names from a
dictionary, or set of dictionaries.

If you end up writing something, let me know and I will try to help
out. Likewise, if I start something I will give you a shout.

cheers,
James