[LRUG] Code samples: To do or not to do

Chris Parsons chris at edendevelopment.co.uk
Tue Apr 7 06:50:02 PDT 2009

On 7 Apr 2009, at 00:34, Matthew Rudy Jacobs wrote:

> I'd say the process should be;
>
> 1. send a CV (link to blogs / github if you have them)
> 2. do a phone / informal pub meetup
> 3. do a proper face to face interview
> 4. take a look at some code, or discuss coding practice.

To throw my hat into the ring: that's almost exactly what we do,
depending on the nature of the job and the applicant.

Most people send a CV, a few don't, which is fine as long as I can
easily find out about them from the net.

I usually follow up with a few questions, and depending on the answers
I usually then do a phone/pub meeting, depending on distance. Then on
to a face to face interview if appropriate, etc. It tends to change
depending on the CV/answers/role.

At some point in this process I ask for code. I'm ideally interested
in a larger block of code, with some notes about what people are proud
of and what they're not proud of. I'm looking at the personal
qualities, the software training, and the design decisions behind the
answers rather than the code itself. 2-3 lines is a ridiculously small
amount with no benefit, and tells you much more about the employer who
asks for it than the applicant who provides it.

It's fairly clear from a few classes of ruby whether someone is going
to match our development style and fit in quickly, or whether we're
going to have to train them up to scratch. From their answers you can
also usually tell whether they're willing to learn and have solid best
practice behind them. That reflects where they'd slot into our pay
scale, and if there's enough of a match and they'd fit culturally we
take things further.

Some other job hunting advice (some already given): Avoid recruiters.
Hang out at user groups. Go to meetups, barcamps and confs if you can.
Work on open source. Subscribe to the blogs of rails shops around the
country.

Thanks
Chris

--
Chris Parsons
CEO ~ Eden Development (UK) Ltd

chris at edendevelopment.co.uk
http://www.edendevelopment.co.uk
http://twitter.com/chrismdp

0845 0097 094
po box 425, winchester, so23 0wy, uk
Map: http://pininthemap.com/edendevelopment

Tried Pin in the Map? Mark a map location, add text, send to friends.
http://pininthemap.com

This electronic message and all contents contain information from the
sender which may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected
from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the
addressee(s) only. If you are not an addressee, any copying,
disclosure, distribution or use of the contents of this message is
prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error,
please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy the original
message and all copies. The sender does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions.