[LRUG] Code samples: To do or not to do

Chris Parsons chris at edendevelopment.co.uk
Tue Apr 7 08:36:55 PDT 2009

On 7 Apr 2009, at 16:19, Matthew Rudy Jacobs wrote:

> I find this the most frustrating thing about applying for jobs;
>
> "How do I express how good I am, and the extra value I can bring in
> terms of mentoring and higher level design, in an interview?"

An interview is a difficult place in which to express this, unless an
employer happens to ask good searching questions.

A provable internet track record (in, say, open source, or interesting
list posts, etc) cannot be ignored. I also read LinkedIn profiles
carefully, take note of genuine recommendations, and read a *long* way
through twitter timelines.

I'm not so interested in whether people leave after short periods,
it's why they left that's interesting, and what they have to say about
it, and how they come across when they say it.

Chris