[LRUG] Action

Chris Parsons chris at edendevelopment.co.uk
Wed Apr 8 02:49:14 PDT 2009

On 7 Apr 2009, at 21:44, Vahagn Hayrapetyan wrote:

> How do we create a web that is standardized and professional as a
> programming platform, so more of the right people can become web
> developers for the right reasons and thus swell our ranks?

I'll try and answer your questions with another question: How do you
eat an elephant?

It's not that bleak. Clients aren't stupid: over the long term they'll
go for quality over price. Either that or they'll fail. Recessions are
good for this sort of thing. Lots of bad web shops will fail when
clients realise that they don't get good quality work on the cheap. It
only takes one such experience for them to wake up.

We all just need to keep plugging away, not sacrificing standards,
delivering on time, for reasonable (not cheap) rates. Remember it's
not 'us' and 'them'. If we assume that, we'll automatically set up
barriers and we won't get our message across. We need to work on
building face to face relationships with clients, as that's the main
thing that gets lost through offshoring.

If we carry on like this, one job at a time, we'll change the industry.

Hope that's optimistic enough. Oh, and England will win the World Cup.
There.

Chris

--
Chris Parsons