[LRUG] Rails marketability

Vahagn Hayrapetyan vahagnh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 06:13:38 PDT 2009

@Mark:

The few times I have tried selling Rails the addresses of my pitch were
interested (because the Rails buzz had reached them indirectly), but wanted
to know what exactly makes it so magic. My way of going around it is to
explain that the benefits Rails gives are two-fold: 1) *External* (rapid
prototyping, possibility for early and continuous feedback, etc) and 2) *
Internal* (culture of best coding practices, testability, clean
architecture, etc, hence productivity and maintainability). After which,
they usually say "Well that sounds exciting, maybe it's worth a try" or
something like that.

So exactly as Dr Nic says, I think the responsibility for actually marketing
Rails with the right message is entirely ours - as developers we shape the
Rails ecosystem but we also should proactively shape it's image in the
world. A healthy amount of buzz (which Rails certainly has) will never hurt
the case, but the main thrust of the message should (in my opinion) be more
than "because it's cool". Instead, one should put forward the added value of
solid architecture, testability, REST implementation, quick and productive
iterations, etc.

Not everyone out there is aware of these things, so here is our chance to
turn buzz into something more lasting, which I think would not only be good
for business but also for the web development ecosystem in total, which is
only now catching up with some of the good practices that have been adopted
in other areas of software development, for some time already.

Cheers,
Vahagn