[LRUG] Code samples: To do or not to do

Anthony Green Anthony.Green at bbc.co.uk
Tue Apr 7 01:51:31 PDT 2009

> 1. send a CV (link to blogs / github if you have them)
> 2. do a phone / informal pub meetup
> 3. do a proper face to face interview
> 4. take a look at some code, or discuss coding practice.
>
> :s
>
> But yeah.
> Everyone should have code on the internet somewhere.
> Unfortunately some people do have lives, though.
> So maybe "MUST HAVE A GITHUB PROFILE" is an unfair requirement right now.

I think CVs are pointless. The only time one I've send out is referred back
to me is when then end up on some recruiters DB indexed by keywords.

To dissuade timewasters I just point to my Linkedin/blog/github.

Doing the phone / informal pub meetup is very important to me. I don't want
an employer to be like a dog chasing a car.

I consider it essential to discuss coding practice, code reviews, testing,
deployment, company culture, conference allowance etc. For the last several
years I've used interviews to interview the employer far more than they
interviewed me. I was unfortunately once to get stuck in a job where they
placed no value on their employees and it took a long time to extricate
myself. Never again.

--
Anthony Green
Client Side Developer