[LRUG] Code samples: To do or not to do

Luis Correa d'Almeida luis.ca at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 16:52:31 PDT 2009

Vahagn -

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 12:41 AM, Vahagn Hayrapetyan <vahagnh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Matthew:
>
> Absolutely, I agree that one of the best ways a programmer can demonstrate
> his ability is to have open-source contributions. Having working, cool /
> alternative webapps online is another option (which I have personally
> favoured so far).

+1 Contributing to open source is major. Shows that you care about
your craft enough to spend your personal time on open source. It also
shows that you care about freedom in software and the community beyond
your immediate circle. Also tends to show initiative and drive, which
for an employer is important, specially in high performing teams.

> To set things straight, I should perhaps have noted that my post mainly is
> about the situation where our theoretical programmer has not yet contributed
> with any public code - either because he has chosen to prioritize otherwise
> or because he is still new to a language / ecosystem (Ruby obviously in
> question here).

Our interviewing process involves a technical exercise, were the
candidate is asked to solve a problem using the language we are
*primarily* hiring for. If we believe that what the candidate has
demonstrated is in line with what we are looking for, then the
candidate will pair with one of our developers for about 1h30 on
extending the solution to that original problem.

I have never asked for code excerpts. We are much more interested in
the candidate's analytical and problem solving skills.

> Cheers,
> Vahagn

Best,

Luis