[LRUG] Code samples: To do or not to do

Chris Parsons chris at edendevelopment.co.uk
Tue Apr 7 08:28:18 PDT 2009

On 7 Apr 2009, at 16:05, Anthony Green wrote:

> I'd be interested if you think set salaries set at skill acquisition
> level
> rather than term of employment or other measure is workable.

That's how we operate, basically. We pay by 'how useful a team member
is to the team'. Higher salaries are for greater responsibility (over
both projects and other team members), for greater breadth of ability
over multiple frameworks, greater software design insight, etc. You
get the picture.

I find that if I'm really open and honest with everyone individually
about pay, and review regularly, then it works.

> I've never sought a salary rise, I'd much prefer opportunities for
> training/skill acquisition and be paid accordingly as my skills
> progress.
> Skills would inc things like mentoring and agile practises not just
> Ruby
> proficiency

Yeah, we really try and do this. Our current methods are: 1) pairing
2) Paid conference attendance 3) Skills matter courses (we're looking
at the Scrum Master courses for senior people for example) 4) Allowing
enough slack for paid 'reading time' and 'trying stuff out time' (last
one doesn't always happen if I'm honest, but I'm working on it)

Would be grateful for any more suggestions on helping employees gain
skills.

Thanks
Chris