[LRUG] <insert hilarious September meeting pun here>

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 06:04:24 PDT 2009

Hi all,
The September meeting will be on Wednesday 9th September and we'll be
running the September meeting as a Coding Dojo.  You can find out more
details on the lrug website:
http://lrug.org/meetings/2009/08/18/september-2009-meeting/ (including links
to what the hell a Coding Dojo actually is).

Matt Wynne and Ivan Sanchez have been really helpful to me in working out
how we might run this sort of evening, and they'll be on hand (on this list
and at the meeting) to answer any questions.

There's a little pre-work for this meeting, so I hope you're all paying
attention:

1. We need to split up into 2 or 3 groups in order to run the evening
successfully so I've created a google spreadsheet with 3 groups in it.  If
you are planning on coming can you put your name down and self arrange into
groups.  The spreadsheet is here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ai86AO7glNC9dFg4cEJkSUhOaEpCT0VHNnlWYnFld0E&hl=en_GB(it's
publicly editable so please be nice).

2. Ideally the groups will have an even spread of ability so that everyone
gets something out of the evening.  There's a column in the spreadsheet for
indicating your "ability" level on a scale of 1-10 and there's a key in the
spreadsheet so we should all be thinking along the same lines.  Check what
everyone else in the groups has declared themselves before adding yourself
to that group, for example, if you think you are a total newbie and Group 1
already has a bunch of people with roughly that ability, but group 2
doesn't, put your name under group 2.

NOTE: if you feel uncomfortable about declaring what you think your ability
with ruby is, that's fine.  You don't have to put anything down for ability,
but you should filter yourself into a group with a good mix of abilities.

3. We'd also like it if a couple of folk volunteered to be first up in each
group to kick things off.  This doesn't mean that you think you are the most
awesome ruby programmer, just that you think you'd be happy to kick start
the process maybe because you've Dojo'd before or because you're used to
pairing and explaining how you work.  There's a column in the spreadsheet
for indicating that you'd be happy to go first.

4. The problem to work on: Matt Wynne suggested, from experience, either
Minesweeper or Mastermind as good problems to work on.  I don't want to
bike-shed this, but does anyone have any preferences or alternatives?  I'm
in favour of Minesweeper as Matt already has a bunch of cucumber acceptance
tests which can be useful to help bootstrap the design process.

Cheers,

Muz

ps - I'm off on holiday at the end of the week, so might be sans-internet.
 If there are any questions about this particular meeting, Matt or Ivan
should be able to help.