[LRUG] Setting up Ruby + Gems + Rails on OS X

James Adam james at lazyatom.com
Wed Dec 9 03:06:11 PST 2009

I've set up my new laptop using Homebrew and RVM exclusively, and am
pretty happy with the results. I even knocked up a script that will
switch passenger versions according to the current ruby implementation.

The only snag I hit was an issue with Snow Leopard and ruby 1.8.6 gems
that have compiled extensions; see my recent delicious links for more
about that, along with the solution.

I had RVM running well on my old machine, which used macports for
everything else, although I couldn't get rubinius or macruby working
on it.

What I really like about RVM is that it lowers the barrier for trying
1.9 and rubinius. I can't believe* we had a Manor talk last year about
1.9 and yet it's still not really been adopted. I am hoping to start
using 1.9 for all of my own projects and deployments, but RVM means I
can still develop against client stacks without worrying too much.

- James

* I do understand why.

--
* J *