[LRUG] SE/ CSD Team Leader Role at BBC Audio and Music

Vahagn Hayrapetyan vahagnh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 04:28:28 PST 2009

Hi Anthony, here some (constructive) criticism of the information
architecture / navigability of the BBC job site and specifically the link
that you posted here:

"All applications including internal ones have to go through the job site:
https://jobs.bbc.co.uk/fe/tpl_bbc02.asp?newms=jj&id=26471"

When one follows the link one is redirected to:

1) "Click here to apply for this job" -> CLICK, follow_redirect

2) "Are you currently a BBC employee? Yes / No" NO, follow_redirect

3) "This website is for BBC employees only - to search and apply for roles,
please go to the BBC external
website.<https://jobs.bbc.co.uk/fe/tpl_bbc01.asp>"
CLICK, follow_redirect:

4) BANG: One suddenly lands here:
https://jobs.bbc.co.uk/fe/tpl_bbc01.asp
and has to start the search over. OK, lets do that using the search
parameters Location:London and Keywords:SE/CSD.

5) "Showing results 1 out of 1" YES, give me that result please. CLICK,
follow_redirect
Ahh! Here we have it; the job ad with about 50 lines of must-haves and
nice-to-haves. Organisation/Planning (yes, a very good thing isn't it;
Resilience oh yes yes! It's about Resilience, boy!) OK let's apply to this
position "externally" this time. CLICK, follow_redirect

DEJA VU!
6=2) "Are you currently a BBC employee? Yes / No" Ahmygod. NO! Click,
follow_redirect
7=3) "This website is for BBC employees only - to search and apply for
roles, please go to the BBC external
website.<https://jobs.bbc.co.uk/fe/tpl_bbc01.asp>
"

I like the BBC (though I don't think I'm skilled enough to work there), so I
thought they might like to sort the navigability out before wishing to
attract high-calibre engineers? It's the details that count, you know.

Best, Vahagn