[LRUG] Ruby Contracting

Eleanor McHugh eleanor at games-with-brains.com
Fri Feb 20 02:57:10 PST 2009

On 19 Feb 2009, at 08:06, Anthony Green wrote:
>> The [T|B]DD fad has to run its course. Perhaps when more developers
>> find themselves working with the exacting non-functional requirements
>
> You think so ? I just boarded that train and I don't think it's
> going to be
> reaching maturity quite yet.
> To me [T|B]DD is a part of a journey that began with the 'Failure of
> the
> Software Industry' in the 60s, that has passed through 'The Mythical
> Man-Month', The Agile Manefesto, Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns
> and many
> other interesting towns (some of which are worth revisiting).
> I would say its not a methodology you can or would want to employ
> everywhere.

I'd say that of all the popular methodologies. The only one I've ever
had much time for is the Boehm Spiral which is neither proscriptive
nor particularly demanding - write some code, debug some code, repeat
until done. Then again I prefer to work on problems in their natural
time and pursue the many scenic byways that present themselves, I find
that leads to better solutions than more focused approaches and the
overall cost is much lower thanks to the low maintenance that elegant
and appropriate solutions require.

I guess I read too much Knuth as an undergrad :)

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net