[LRUG] Lessons for Newbies

Anthony Green email at acgreen.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 22:44:10 PST 2009

I like the idea in principle. I'm a long-standing newbie and find some
concepts discussed in talks difficult to grasp.
However I would say that its equally beholden upon you to do as much
homework as you can.
There are some great podcasts out there, just search iTunes meanwhile
PragProg have an excellent series on Ruby Metaprogramming.
In regards books there's David A Black's Ruby for Rails, David Flanagan's
The Ruby Programming Language and Hal Fulton's The Ruby Way (2nd Edition)
all of which you should have a copy of.
James Edward Grey II has a blog where he writes about ruby idioms in a ways
that's very accessible.