[LRUG] Chat Digest, Vol 36, Issue 11 (Beware of the Nuby)

Julian Burgess aubergene at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 15:34:50 PST 2009

I remember feeling quite out of my depth at my first LRUG (about a
year ago), which I think dealt mainly with quite advanced testing and
mocking. However I stuck with it and have learned a lot and will be
presenting one of the slots at the next meeting. I'll just be giving a
brief overview of my learning journey through Ruby (I'm still no
expert at all), which will hopefully give courage to anyone starting
out and perhaps provide me with some guidance.

I quite like the idea of a short talk on a single basic topic. Perhaps
to make it work better it could be done at the end of the meeting,
therefore giving the opportunity for anyone who knows enough already
to leave for the pub. Just a shout out something you don't understand
and debate forth with a five minute limit perhaps.

An example for me would be the use of symbols. For ages my only use
was where it was advised as part of Rails. Recently however I was
tackling a general Ruby problem where using symbols instead of strings
saved so much memory that it wasn't possible any other way (that's
what made me look for another way in the first place, and I'm still
not sure whether there might be a much better tactic anyhow).