[LRUG] London RoR Conference, July '09 ?

wendy wendy at skillsmatter.com
Wed Jan 28 06:59:10 PST 2009

Hi there,

I am hoping you can have a think about the following.....
*
RoR eXchange 2009 - May 13th (or May 19th)*
Skills Matter (the organisers of the first RailsConf Europe in 2006) and
spoonsors of LRUG are (already) organising the Third Annual RoR eXchange
2009 on May 13th in central London.
http://skillsmatter.com/event/ruby-on-rails/ruby-on-rails-exchange-246
We currently working on a full schedule, confirmed speakers so far are
David Black and Ola Bini.

*Requests for Proposals
*We are now ready to receive your proposals for talks, and your ideas,
so if you want to do a talk or would like to see a talk on a certain
topic, please let us know, by emailing me (wendy at skillsmatter.com)
*
Programme, duration, tracks*
We are currently working on a 1-day, 1 track event, but if you guys want
to see lots of talks, and would like more tracks and more days, we can
accomodate that! Just let us know! Send an email to
wendy at skillsmatter.com with RoR eXchange in the subject header.

*Costs*
"I think a euro railsconf would be great, but I think you'd be better
looking outside London.  London adds so much to the costs involved in
putting on a conference. "
We have really done our very best to keep costs to an absolute minimum
and have managed to keep a ticket price at just £75.00/ticket, if you
book on or before February 12th, and after that, tickets will only be £125
If we add tracks, or days, we may have to up the ticket price a little
bit - especially if you'll ask for a lot of  speakers of other
countries, for whom we'd have to fund travel, but again - our focus is
to keep the costs to an absolute minimum.

So I am hoping we can try and make this a top event by working together?!!

Wendy

Stephen Bartholomew wrote:
> I think a euro railsconf would be great, but I think you'd be better
> looking outside London.  London adds so much to the costs involved in
> putting on a conference.
>
> There are places like ashford and ebbsfleet area where rail links from
> London and Europe are good, but you don't have the additional costs.
>
> From what I remember, the US railsconfs have in the past been much
> cheaper to run as well as having lower ticket prices than EU.
>
> Steve
>
> On 27 Jan 2009, at 21:55, Mark Coleman
> <mark at breakthrough-workshop.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello there everyone....
>>
>> I've just recently joined the mailing list, and I feel a bit of an
>> impostor!  Although I live just by the M25, I almost never get into
>> London, so I haven't been to any events before...
>>
>> I feel especially cheeky, since my first post is an attempt to suck
>> your brains:
>>
>> I'm very keen on organising a Ruby on Rails conference in London, in
>> the summer (provisionally, July), for Rails enthusiasts.
>> I'm still at the planning stage at the moment: trying to get an idea
>> for the number of delegates that might want to come, the budget
>> available, getting in touch with potential speakers, looking for
>> sponsors, assessing venues with the appropriate facilities, etc.
>>
>> I figure that you guys will have some good tips or ideas, maybe some
>> suggestions or volunteers for speakers or sponsors? I have had a
>> couple of positive responses from some high profile speakers already,
>> but I'd rather reach people directly or through someone they already
>> know, rather than a more impersonal e-mail.
>>
>> At this early stage nothing is set in stone, but I'm hoping to
>> emulate the very excellent Scotland on Rails event, so something like
>> of a two day conference, with a great line-up of speakers and
>> keynotes. If I can arrange a tutorial day, some evening social events
>> and a panel Q&A / discussion session that would be a great addition.
>>
>> So, I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys, any thoughts?
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>
>> Mark_______________________________________________
>> Chat mailing list
>> Chat at lists.lrug.org

Wendy Devolder
CEO

Tel +44 0207 1072620
Skype wendyskillsmatter
wendy.devolder at skillsmatter.com
	<http://skillsmatter.com/skills-matter-featured-event.html>
Get this and other badges for your blog, email signature, and profile
*here...* <http://www.skillsmatter.com/go/community/>
Skills Matter
1 Sekforde Street, London, EC1R 0BE
Tel: 0207 107 2620, Fax: 0207 107 2621