[LRUG] First post

Riccardo Tacconi rtacconi at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 03:35:05 PDT 2009

Thanks for the link on stackoverflow, it is interesting. I have already
followed a video on infoq about metaprogramming in ruby:
http://www.infoq.com/presentations/metaprogramming-ruby so I know why ruby
is so elegant and powerful for DSL. The problem that I have found in PHP is
the cultural difference of some community. For instance, the community of
the framwork that I was using, they said that they do not see any benefit of
using DSL. Plus, the framework that I am using is a fork of another one that
is currently 'dead', and this fork is carried on by people not enough good
to keep the old quality of standards. Another thing, there is not any
built-in testing solution, and a serious way to introduce a serious testing
practice is quite hard.

By reading and following videos I have discovered DDD, BDD and more... and I
see that the two languages more advanced are Groovy and Ruby, although
Grovvy is younger than Ruby is quite interesting.

I will search the talk of David A Black, thanks.

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 6:48 AM, Anthony Green <email at acgreen.co.uk> wrote:

> On 11/07/2009 00:46, "Riccardo Tacconi" <rtacconi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello to everyone,
> >
> > I have just registered now. I am a PHP programmer, with some knowledge of
> > Java and other languages. I am interested to find a good web development
> > language/framework. After a long research, I saw that the most advanced
> are
> > Rail and Grails.
>
> Really ? Better than Django or Seaside or ... ?
>
> To me this is another sign of a kind of 'Pails culture' PHP developers
> bringing their old school thinking into the Ruby on Rails
>
> I like Rails because I like Ruby.
>
> Yahuda Katz gave a good answer 'Why is Ruby more suitable for Rails than
> Python?' on stackoverflow  http://bit.ly/KYWUm
> I also found the audio of an excellent talk David A Black at Scotland on
> Rails 08 comparing his journey with Ruby with his training as a classical
> celloist. Its not about one language vs another its about you as a
> developer
> striving to excel. Its available on iTunes I urge you to go listen to it.
>
> I love the Ruby committee because of the people in it: both Daves, Katz,
> Jim
> and Joe, Jay Fields, Sean the list goes on, their passion and love of the
> language their generosity in passing on what they know. Look for that in
> whatever programming community you choose Riccardo and you'll learn a whole
> lot more about good web development.
>
> Tony

Riccardo Tacconi
VIRTUELOGIC LIMITED