[LRUG] some interesting work for a Ruby/Rails developer (flexible)

Daniel Elkan daniel.elkan at zen.co.uk
Mon Jun 15 09:09:59 PDT 2009

Dear LRUG,

One of your members, Matt Wynne, suggested that this opportunity might be of
interest to you:

We are a start-up social enterprise, snowcarbon, looking to recruit the
skills of a ruby developer to provide a solution for us. It is a really
good opportunity, for the right person. Here are more details:

Launching this September, snowcarbon.co.uk is a website that shows skiers
and snowboarders which ski resorts (in Austria, France, Italy, Switzerland
and Andorra) are convenient to reach by train from the UK.

If you ski or snowboard, you’ll know that flying to resorts is a hassle, and
that lots of skiers would love a an alternative. Travelling to ski resorts
by train is nearly as quick (door to door), more enjoyable, more
comfortable, gives you extra days on the slopes (if you take a sleeper
train) and causes a fraction of the carbon emissions. However until now,
information on which resorts are convenient by train, and how to get there,
has been frustratingly difficult to find. Snowcarbon will this information
into one attractive, easy-to-use comprehensive resource.

Founded by two experienced journalists (who write on ski travel and on
environmental issues), the site has attracted promotional and funding
commitments from the wintersport industry and backing from environmental
organisations and rail companies. Snowcarbon will be a catalyst for
sustainable travel across the entire wintersport industry, and in subsequent
years become a pan-European project too.

We are looking to hire a ruby developer (who can start work immediately,
ideally). It is not a full-time position but it is flexible working over the
next couple of months, to help us offer a convenient, easy-to-use online
rail journey booking solution, linking rail companies’ systems together into
a user-friendly front end. This is not necessarily about re-inventing the
wheel, just offering the best solution from the current options available.
(We have web designers working on the rest of the site, but this is the
missing piece we need).

If you think you might be able to help, (or know someone that can) do
contact me.  Please don’t hesitate with any questions to clarify anything
about the job, and what we require, money etc.

Sincerely,

Daniel Elkan

Freelance Journalist, director of snowcarbon.

0207 625 7865

07739 031 419