[LRUG] Netbooks and Rails development

Simon Starr simon at starr.cx
Wed Mar 4 04:02:18 PST 2009

Hello,

I was doing some netbook research recently when I came across this
article at Gizmodo about sticking OS X on a Dell Mini 9:
http://gizmodo.com/5156903/how-to-hackintosh-a-dell-mini-9-into-the-ultimate-os-x-netbook

This prompted me to order one on Monday but now they've knocked £50
off the price in a 48 hour sale so I've ordered a cheaper one today
and I'll be sending the first one back! (It seems they can't cancel
online orders but are happy to accept returns)

Installing OS X apparently works very well (even sleep/hibernation is
supported) and being able to install TextMate will make this the
perfect development machine for when I'm away from home. It's a bit OT
for this list but if anyone's interested in how well this turns out,
feel free to contact me directly and I'll let you know.

Cheers
   Simon
-
Simon Starr