[LRUG] Paths to open source contributions

Vahagn Hayrapetyan vahagnh at gmail.com
Fri May 8 08:16:51 PDT 2009

Hi Matthew,-

yep, our views on this *are* different. This is not to say I don't
appreciate yours. In fact, I have many times been the consumer of code that
was released on a blog for everyone to consume; if the author were to
over-analyze the situation by thinking about whether his code would be in
fact used or not by someone they might not have released it. So I think it
is a valid and valuable way to release code.

Speaking about myself, well I guess my approach is to make the case
water-tight. To immerse myself in a domain (a programming language, a
framework, it's paradigms, etc). To become a super-consumer of an existing
project or to cook up something for internal use. Then write some code, see
how it works, then make some abstractions based on how representative I am
of a generic user. Then *maybe* release it.

Don't know if this is the most flexible method, however I guess it's a
matter of temperament.

Best,
Vahagn