[LRUG] Reasons for Postgres

Jocke Selin jocke at selincite.com
Mon Nov 16 10:20:24 PST 2009

On 16 Nov 2009, at 18:00, Sam Stokes wrote:

> I've heard before that the PostgreSQL CLI is nicer than MySQL's.  Is its permission system any easier to administer?  I don't think I've ever successfully run a GRANT ALL PERMISSIONS TO fred at localhost AND HIS DOG without having to look up the syntax every time.

A cut-n-paste from my install notes:
----
aptitude install postgresql
su postgres
createuser -S -D -R -P -E -e theusername
createdb -E UTF-8 -O spine -e thedatabase_production
Test by logging in:
psql -h localhost -U theusername -W thedatabase_production
----

Those commands create and run the SQL for you. :)

/Jocke