[LRUG] Rails in the wonderful, wonderful Cloud

Kevin Fullerton lrug at kenwa-solutions.co.uk
Thu Oct 1 10:14:16 PDT 2009

On 1 Oct 2009, at 18:10, Paul Bowsher wrote:

> The issue with colo in the UK (especially East London) is power.
> That's why VPSes are on the up - far denser on power. My former
> company ran a ton of games servers, it suddenly became unprofitable
> overnight once our carrier hotel put the power prices up. Even
> Heathrow/Maidenhead etc is going up. The north will be the new
> Docklands soon, but that won't last long either.

Agreed - I've got 1/4 of a rack in Maidenhead and the prices although
cheaper than Docklands/Greenwich only allow for 16A per full-rack - if
you look at colo prices in the USA etc. you get a lot more power
available for less money - the way to go is certainly high power/low
power consumption servers running multiple VPS's on them.

Kevin