[LRUG] How do you monitor your web site?

javier ramirez jramirez at aspgems.com
Mon Jun 7 05:43:53 PDT 2010

Hi,

> How do you monitor your web app? There are several solutions, but most
> of them just monitor if the web server is not down or monitor the
> performance. What about monitoring the content of the web site? The
> server could be ok but your application may have an error ("Sorry
> something went wrong") or could display content that should not be
> there. Do you use anything more intelligent than a ping or server metrics?

We have several tools in place for monitoring our sites. The stack we
usually configure is:

     - Check if site is alive and in good shape: Pingdom [1]. You can
configure easy checks like looking for presence/lack of some literal
     - Exception notifications: We use the exception notifier [2]
plugin. Combined with an ugly-but-functional plugin [3] by yours truly
you can get alerts both by e-mail and twitter when things go wrong. In
some projects we have tried hoptoad [4]. Pretty good but you have to pay
for it. The free alternative is good enough for us.
     - Monitor system processes and restart unresponsive ones: Monit [5]
     - Performance issues (identify bottlenecks, check trends): New
Relic [6]
     - Visitor's behaviour/metrics: Google Analytics [7]
     - Obscure network monitoring: I know we are using nagios[8] for
that, just not sure about what for exactly ;)
     - Database performance: mysql slow query reports [9]

regards,

[1] http://pingdom.com
[2] http://github.com/rails/exception_notification
[3] http://github.com/javier/mailer_twitterable
[4] http://hoptoadapp.com
[5] http://mmonit.com/monit/
[6] https://rpm.newrelic.com/
[7] http://analytics.google.com
[8] http://nagios.com/
[9] http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/slow-query-log.html

--

javier ramírez

..i do ruby on rails development in madrid, spain, at
http://www.aspgems.com

javier ramirez's home page (http://javier-ramirez.com)
<http://javier-ramirez.com>
javier ramirez's blog (http://formatinternet.com)