[LRUG] Recurring Payments and subscriptions

Marcus Roberts marcus at marcusr.org.uk
Thu Sep 2 23:10:43 PDT 2010

On 2 Sep 2010, at 23:28, Neil Middleton wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We're looking at building an application that uses the regular subscriptions model a la Basecamp or similar (I'm sure you all know the model I mean).  Question is, what approach has people taken in the past?

We use SagePay and their Direct product so that we take card numbers on our site and then pass them over.  You need to get a merchant account with someone like Barclaycard, and you need to get one with continuous authority, which lets you take repeated payments.   We found it very difficult to get a merchant account  for charging for "virtual services" and had to leverage a good relationship with a bank manager to get it.  It does give us complete flexibility in terms of repeat payments though.

We then used the Rails saas kit (http://railskits.com/saas/) as the basis for our billing, with some heavy modifications to suit our needs.   I  had to make some changes to ActiveMerchant to get repeated SagePay payments integrated.

Marcus