[LRUG] Claranet at looking for a full time RoR developer

Chris Parsons chris at edendevelopment.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 08:13:07 PDT 2010

> From: Rob Lacey <contact at robl.me>
> I do wonder why an awful lot of jobs require degrees in Computer
> Science or related fields, before even getting your foot in the door.
> I worked in ISP and Web Development for 12 years and I studied Music
> Technology, and I've worked with extremely capable people who didn't
> even go to university. So it doesn't really seem to matter.

The system has changed recently, but we took legal advice on a job ad
a couple of years back and found that if we didn't require a degree,
the job wouldn't be sufficiently 'high end' enough to allow us to get
a visa for a non-EU candidate on it.

This immigration system is all based on points now, but it might still
be a reason that businesses stick a degree requirement on a job ad
just in case.

Chris

--
Chris Parsons
CEO ~ Eden Development

Office: +44 (0)845 0097 094
Email:  chris at edendevelopment.co.uk
Web: http://edendevelopment.co.uk

This e-mail is from Eden Development. It has been sent in confidence
to the named addressee(s). This
message may contain legally privileged information and is for the use
of the addressee(s) only. If you
are not the intended recipient you must not use, reveal, copy,
distribute or print this message. Please
notify the sender by return e-mail and then delete the message from
your computer system. Thank
you. Your contact details will be held and used by us in accordance
with the Data Protection Act.
Eden Development Limited is registered in England. Our registration
number is: 5212702. Our
registered office is: Eden Development, Venta Court, 20 Jewry St,
Winchester, SO23 8FE.