[LRUG] Resque reliability (was re: Experienced RoR dev needed)

Sam Livingston-Gray geeksam at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 15:02:06 PDT 2011

> Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 02:06:00 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Robert Redmond <robert_redmond at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [LRUG] Experienced RoR dev needed

[snip]

> Make the push notification system more robust, we are using apn_sender to send
> the push notifications, Reddis to store in memory which IPhones need to be sent
> a APN and Resque to schedule the push notifications. This seems not to work 100%
> reliable at the moment. It may be the server config or we may need a different
> approach

Chiming in from across the pond here.  Resque is not 100% reliable, by
design.  To quote Chris Wanstrath, "Resque does not advertise itself
as a system that will never lose your jobs. Part of the design is we
don't care if jobs are lost."[1]  This came up at a pdxruby.org
presentation[2] in January, and I brought it back up again in a recent
thread[3] on our mailing list.

There was a recent discussion[4] on databases that also touched on
work queues on the Ruby Rogues podcast that may also be of interest.

Now back to lurking for me...

-Sam

[1] https://github.com/defunkt/resque/issues/93#issuecomment-245520
[2] http://groups.google.com/group/pdxruby/browse_thread/thread/d7279d3314cd477b