[LRUG] ShRUG Golf update

James Almond james at jamesalmond.com
Tue May 10 05:59:28 PDT 2011

Hi all,

As promised, an update on ShRUG's progress with the Ruby Golf night we ran
in parallel with LRUG.

Firstly, I managed to fork the repository before the 7th hole was added and
nobody noticed until a fair amount of time into the evening so we completed
the course without it. We also worked with a slightly lighter and RSpec
2 compatible runner, but all specs and counting mechanisms stayed the same.
Everyone had 1.9.2 installed and favoured it, so we went with that over
1.8.7. I think we were still pretty close to what you were running. We had
around 5 pairs of 2.

Our lowest team effort on the night was 592 (with hole 7 missing):
https://github.com/ianwhite/rubygolf/blob/master/lib/golf.rb

A group discussion and edit took the count down to 522:
https://github.com/shruggers/rubygolf/blob/ecd0b312bfb9707b6debfc01062eab5e39d5f95a/lib/golf.rb

A bit of post-ShRUG editing and adding hole 7 our final team count was 604:
https://github.com/shruggers/rubygolf/blob/master/lib/golf.rb

The discussion and collating of the results at the end was good fun and also
made it one of the latest running ShRUG meetings I can remember.

Everyone had a great evening, and learnt something new. Thanks to Andrew
(and anybody else who contributed) for the holes, much appreciated! The
#rubygolf radio silence from Sheffield was because everyone was too busy
attempting the holes, sorry about that.

James