[LRUG] BBC R&D Vacancies

Chris Lowis chris.lowis at gmail.com
Mon May 23 03:35:17 PDT 2011

> The Prototyping team within the BBC R&D's department have several vacancies
> within their department.

Specifically of interest to this group, we're looking for three
developers - one senior software engineer, one software engineer and
an engineer with a focus on client-side technologies. This is a great
chance to join the BBC and to work on some really exciting projects.

Engineering-wise we have a "best tool for the job" philosophy. Ruby
gets used a lot, and in quite interesting ways. We've done the usual
webapps (Rails3 and sinatra/datamapper get used quite a bit) but we've
also used ruby for other tasks - recently processing the twitter
firehose[1], talking to Solr datastores and modelling protocols using
revactor. We've used other languages for various tasks in the past
too, Javascript, Erlang, Scala and Java for example. We run our own
infrastructure, so there's good opportunities to work on server-side
architectures too.

We're embedded within the BBC's R&D department so there's a focus on
new research, public dissemination of our research finding and on
working prototypes to take to the rest of the BBC and our audiences.

I love working here, it's a great team with a lot of opportunities to
work with colleagues across all areas of the BBC.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me off the
list. I'll also be at the coding meetup on Thursday.

Cheers,

Chris

[1] - http://skillsmatter.com/podcast/home/processing-tweets-at-the-bbc-1848