[LRUG] REE vs Ruby 1.9.2

Andrew Stewart boss at airbladesoftware.com
Mon Oct 31 00:44:25 PDT 2011

On 29 Oct 2011, at 14:01, Kristen Eisenberg wrote:
> I know Ruby 1.9.2 is better than 1.8.7 in many ways, but does it improve memory usage etc to a degree similar to REE?

Morning Kristen,

I recently moved a Rails 3.0.10 app from REE to Ruby 1.9.2.  I haven't been able to examine the memory usage yet because I've been distracted by the astonishingly slow start-up time for my app.  It went from 15s or so on REE to 3-4min on Ruby 1.9.2.

However Ruby 1.9.3-p0 is now out and it solves the slow start-up problem.  37signals are using 1.9.3 in production which is good enough for me, so I'm moving to 1.9.3 as soon as I can.

Yours,

Andy Stewart
-------
http://airbladesoftware.com