[LRUG] Looking to meet...

Paul Robinson paul at 32moves.com
Wed Sep 14 10:07:15 PDT 2011

On 14 Sep 2011, at 15:18, Paul Battley wrote:

> You probably won't get 50K, a company car, a gym membership, and a
> pension working for a start-up, but it doesn't have to be slavery,
> either: even below-market-rate salary for a programmer is way above
> pot noodle destitution - even in London.

I'd never expect that. I've worked for startups for most of the last 10 years and never asked for (or got) gym membership, a car or a pension.

But I'd expect market rate.

Or if preferred, I'd take below market rate + equity and view it an investment I'm making.

If it's a "you can learn a lot here" position, mark it as a call for paid interns. It's not for professionals with experience of start-ups. If you are reading this as a professional with experience of start-ups and you're taking gigs without equity and below market rate *you are a moron*.

Sorry, but asking a professional to work below market rate with no equity just for giggles, is frankly unprofessional, nice guy or not, period.