[LRUG] Looking to meet...

Paul Robinson paul at 32moves.com
Thu Sep 15 02:19:49 PDT 2011

On 15 Sep 2011, at 09:39, Ronny Ager-Wick wrote:

> I've been reading this thread nearly in a shock. You're not supposed to work for money - work for passion! Passion coupled with talent does not need to hunt money - money will come.

I'm not suggesting anybody exploit their employer. I'm talking about fairness.

Passion is not a currency my landlord is prepared to accept rent payments in. My bills are unpayable in passion as well.

Of course, like most people, I'm happy to work for bugger all if it means I get a good chance of a decent pay-out down the line. If no equity is on offer, I at least want to be paid well enough to put some money into a savings account.

I once turned down £400/day on a 12-month contract to take a job paying £30k/year + 5% equity, simply because the second job was more interesting and I'd be more enthused getting up in the morning. I completely agree with passion first, but come on, let's be realistic: we all want to make a good living.

> What's this "market salary" bullshit anyway? I thought this was a group for professionals, but it sounds like a .NET group... Or is the community changing?

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/default.aspx?page=1&sortby=0&orderby=0&q=ruby&id=0&lid=2618

There's been a market rate since about 2008. Before that, there wasn't really much of a market. Goes with the territory of a language that is becoming more in demand from employers.

> Am I out of sync? I thought we were here because we love what we're creating, and *how* we create it.

We are, but we all have bills to pay, and it's worth talking sometimes about what is normal in the community and what is abnormal. Do you really think it's fair there is a Rubyist right now being paid £100/week and being asked to live full-time with his boss, because his boss doesn't want to pay him too much in case it compromises his own vision of being insanely rich? It's happening, it's not right, and I'm going to point to it and call it bullshit.