[LRUG] Ru3y Manor diversity

Tim Cowlishaw tim at timcowlishaw.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 04:20:07 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Glenn Gillen <glenn at rubypond.com> wrote:
> On 20 Sep 2011, at 11:45, Jordi Noguera Leon wrote:
. For instance, when I started uni there were something like 6 girls
out of 100 (or 150 don't remember) who started CS. I studied maths and
for us it was more like 30 guys / 20 girls, although I know at least
10 girls dropped off...

> Yeah, I think I only had ~4 out of ~100 in my course.

Interestingly, on my MSc (Computer Science, just finished), the gender
balance was a lot more even - I'd guess about 60-40 skewed in favour
of the men. I also took a couple of classes with the Machine Learning
MSc students who were at least 50-50, if not skewed slightly in favour
of women. The undergrad classes appeared to be similarly proportioned.

I'm not entirely sure whether this is representative, but I'd hope it
means that more women are becoming  interested in CS as a field and a
profession.

Cheers,

Tim