[LRUG] Rails 3 not logging HTTPS requests

javier ramirez jramirez at aspgems.com
Wed Apr 4 09:02:11 PDT 2012

Hi,

Rails doesn't know anything about your request being secure or not. If
your application is working fine without SSL, it should be working fine
with it too. Maybe you have installed some gem or rack middleware to
deal with https and it's acting funny?

For my rails apps to run over SSL all I do is marking the cookie as
secure only (not really necessary, but I prefer it that way) then I
configure the web server to redirect all the http traffic to https. I
have used some gems in past projects to allow for some sections to
respond to http and some sections to https only, but then I decided it
was easier (and it made much more sense from a safety point of view) to
run the whole site under SSL. From the rails point of view, all requests
are the same once they reach the dispatcher, no matter the URI scheme.

> My app is responding to HTTPS requests, so Apache and Passenger send
> the request to the app.

So you are calling some actions via https and you are getting a valid
response generated by your application but not seeing any activity in
the logs?

Unless you have some weird gem causing that, it would look as if you
were not hitting the instance of your app you are checking the log for.
It wouldn't be the first time I try to see in the development log
something when running on production or testing environments, or even
trying to check on my local log something running on staging.

cheers,

javier ramírez

..i do ruby on rails development in madrid, spain, at
http://www.aspgems.com

javier ramirez's home page (http://javier-ramirez.com)
<http://javier-ramirez.com>
javier ramirez's blog (http://formatinternet.com)