[LRUG] Rails 3 not logging HTTPS requests

Riccardo Tacconi rtacconi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 09:18:44 PDT 2012

Running the whole site under https is a solution, but they asked me to
'protect' only a couple of controllers. I am not using a gem, I am using
this in ApplicationController

    def require_ssl
      unless Rails.env == 'development'
        redirect_to :protocol => "https://" unless (request.ssl?)
      end
    end

Then I can force https where I want. Last part of your mail made me think
that I might have misconfigured Apache, so it could hit the staging site
using http and the production site when using https. I will have a look,
that is the only possible cause I could think about.

On 4 April 2012 18:02, javier ramirez <jramirez at aspgems.com> wrote:

> **
> Hi,
>
> Rails doesn't know anything about your request being secure or not. If
> your application is working fine without SSL, it should be working fine
> with it too. Maybe you have installed some gem or rack middleware to deal
> with https and it's acting funny?
>
> For my rails apps to run over SSL all I do is marking the cookie as secure
> only (not really necessary, but I prefer it that way) then I configure the
> web server to redirect all the http traffic to https. I have used some gems
> in past projects to allow for some sections to respond to http and some
> sections to https only, but then I decided it was easier (and it made much
> more sense from a safety point of view) to run the whole site under SSL.
> From the rails point of view, all requests are the same once they reach the
> dispatcher, no matter the URI scheme.
>

>  My app is responding to HTTPS requests, so Apache and Passenger send the
> request to the app.
>

> So you are calling some actions via https and you are getting a valid
> response generated by your application but not seeing any activity in the
> logs?
>
> Unless you have some weird gem causing that, it would look as if you were
> not hitting the instance of your app you are checking the log for. It
> wouldn't be the first time I try to see in the development log something
> when running on production or testing environments, or even trying to check
> on my local log something running on staging.
>

> cheers,

> --
>
> javier ramírez
>
> ..i do ruby on rails development in madrid, spain, at
> http://www.aspgems.com
>
> javier ramirez's home page (http://javier-ramirez.com)<http://javier-ramirez.com>
> javier ramirez's blog (http://formatinternet.com)<http://formatinternet.com>

Riccardo Tacconi
Ruby on Rails and PHP development - System Administration
VIRTUELOGIC LIMITED

http://github.com/rtacconi
http://riccardotacconi.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/rtacconi