[LRUG] [JOBS] Ruby engineer role at State, a social web startup in London

Marko Balabanovic marko at state.it
Mon Jan 30 15:11:20 PST 2012

Hi,

I work in the technology team at State.  We're at startup in London
building a large-scale, pretty ambitious new mass-market consumer service
that is all about opinions.  A global opinion network, in fact.  In order
to do that we're putting together a smart and experienced team who are
interested in building world-class, fast, reliable and scaleable software,
to make a product that will be used world-wide.

As we haven't launched yet you won't see much about us on the internet,
but you can see a bit about us at https://state.it/about/people.  We've
got a great group of people together already and there's room for one more.

We're looking for someone to work on our core platform as a software
developer, primarily using Ruby and Rails. We work in short iterations and
small groups so your work would vary across the software stack. You could
be designing social graph algorithms, improving speed and scalability,
building web features, prototyping new technologies or product ideas,
designing APIs for partners or improving our search or recommendations
systems.

You'll need experience with a consumer site that has high traffic, and
dealing with scaling problems.  You'll have also dealt with the
operational side of software engineering: load balancing, deployment,
architecture, caching, performance testing, that kind of thing. We need
people who have experience with a variety of languages (not just Ruby!).
A background in computer science is useful: you'll need to demonstrate
knowledge of algorithms and data structures.

As well as Ruby and Rails we use Node.JS, NoSQL databases like MongoDB,
and big data frameworks like Hadoop and Twitter's Storm.

We're based in a large, light office in Notting Hill with great views over
London and decent espresso.

Please check it out and apply at http://jobs.state.it

No recruiters or agencies.  You must already have UK work authorisation
and be ready to interview and work in London.

Thanks,

Marko