[LRUG] User activity tracking

Joe Corcoran joe at tribesports.com
Wed Jan 25 05:04:42 PST 2012

If you want realtime insight into user behaviour, statsd[1] might work for
you. It's what Etsy uses[2] to send tracking data to Graphite[3], a
realtime graphing system.  Graphite is a bit ugly, so Paperless Post wrote
a nice front end for it, named Graphiti[4].

I can't vouch for these tools personally – I'd be interested to know if
anyone else on the LRUG list has experience of them.

1. https://github.com/etsy/statsd
2.
http://codeascraft.etsy.com/2011/02/15/measure-anything-measure-everything/
3. http://graphite.wikidot.com/
4.
http://dev.paperlesspost.com/blog/2011/12/16/introducing-graphiti-an-alternate-frontend-for-graphite/

On 25 January 2012 12:34, Adam Carlile <adam at benchmedia.co.uk> wrote:

> Hola El Rug
>
> I've been tasked with creating a user activity tracking engine, in order
> to build more complete profiles on our users, their preferences and common
> activities.
>
> But I'm not really sure in which direction to go, I'm pretty sure that
> it's got to be a separate app, with a fast write database, something like
> MongoDB perhaps. Along with an exposed REST API to post and retrieve data.
>
> I also want the tracking engine to send calls to various other external
> services, such as the Facebook Graph API.
>
> It's something I've never tackled before so any advice or articles you
> would recommend would be great!
>
> Thanks
> Adam
>
> -
> *Twitter* @frozenproduce
> *
> *

*Joe Corcoran*
**Developer, TRIBESPORTS
Unit 104, 37 Cremer Street, London E2 8HD
Register now at tribesports.com