[LRUG] Digital Science needs smart people (a.k.a blatant job posting)

Steven Mohapi-Banks steven.mohapibanks at me.com
Tue Jan 10 06:56:51 PST 2012

Hi all,

By way of an intro, my name's Steve, and I'm the CTO at Digital Science (http://www.digital-science.com) - we're a technology company aiming to bring scientific research kicking and screaming in to the 21st century by providing software and information to individuals and institutions. We're active in metrics and analytics, data mining and web-based software. I'm currently looking for two people to join my core team working on some interesting and tough problems.

First up I'm looking for a rock solid front end developer to join us to start a new project based around using browser extensions to improve browsing for researchers. We need somewhat of a generalist as you'll need to demonstrate the ability to work on front-end code, exploit and extend the capabilities of browsers and also work on back end APIs to provide additional features. Strong skills in Ruby and JavaScript are essential (although if you can demonstrate excellent work in other technologies and a willingness to learn we're flexible). There's a fuller description here: http://www.digital-science.com/jobs/#frontend

Secondly we're extending our infrastructure team, from one to two. We've done a lot of work to provide excellent infrastructure for our developers to deploy to: we use Github, Jenkins and Chef plus some in-house developed software to enable us to deploy code quickly (think along the lines of Deployinator). We need another person to help us improve this infrastructure, improve the software and help us develop new tools to monitor, notify, deploy, etc. We're looking for people with strong backgrounds in Linux, AWS, Chef, Ruby, etc, or smart people willing to learn. Again, more information here: http://www.digital-science.com/jobs/#infraeng

Feel free to contact me directly or via our jobs email group, either steve AT or jobs AT digital-science.com, if you wish to apply or just want to arrange a call to learn more. Please include a brief covering letter, your CV and links to your work or open-source contributions. We've got a great team here, some really smart people, loads of interesting problems to solve and a real desire to improve the way technology is used within research.

Thanks for reading,
Steve