[LRUG] Rails without Rails

Sidu Ponnappa ckponnappa at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 05:55:26 PDT 2012

> try and develop a small app separating Rails and the database from the domain[0]
Respect.

I've seen this tried this in the past (~6 years ago, to be fair) and
it's been a fail, mostly because the PoEAA ActiveRecord pattern that
Rails uses is all about coupling your DB and domain code. I'd love to
see someone take another stab at it, but IMO without a Ruby equivalent
of something like Hibernate, this is going to be tough.

ActiveModel has been the best improvement that doesn't wreak havok
with the Rails stack but still allows you to build DB free codebases.
It's still ugly (the API/implementation of validations especially make
me cringe).

I'll pass holiday on to my colleagues - I'm pretty sure they'd be interested.

Cheers,
Sidu.
http://c42.in
http://sidu.in