[LRUG] [NOTJOBS] mid-week recruiter bashing

toby privett tobyprivett at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 03:02:15 PDT 2012

I want to chime in about recruitment bashing. Sure, they're annoying
people. Most of us have had negative experience with recruiters (I have)
and some have had the occasional positive experience (I also have).

But they are indication that the work we do is in demand. And I think we
should be grateful that, unlike most industries in the UK and Europe, we
have too many job opportunities. So we get to sit here smugly slagging off
recruiters who, deluded as they may be, are trying to make a living.

A lot of them I've spoken to lately sound really young. Okay - I'm old by
the standards of this industry. Picture yourself leaving college now with a
flashy degree and you can't get a job worth having. Maybe some of these
people have fallen into recruitment as a last resort. I'm not suggesting
that we all engage with them and actually pick up the phone to a withheld
number.

My 2 bits.