[LRUG] Helping disadvantaged kids learn to code

Stevie Graham stevie at twilio.com
Fri Jul 20 07:58:55 PDT 2012

Hello LRUGers,

I had a meeting today with a chap from the charity RichMix, they're
offering free courses to 14-18 year olds in August on how to build web
apps. I know many of you are passionate about paying it forward to the next
generation from your participation in SideKick Studios DoJunior events. The
kind of kid this course is targeting is typically very underserved by any
existing initiative, and is completely oblivious to these kind of
opportunities. A lot of these kids feel disenfranchised and helpless by
their perceived lack of opportunities, imagine the difference it would make
to their self-esteem and to the paths they choose in life if they knew that
their background didn't matter? If they knew that the ability to cut code
is all they need to have a exciting and rewarding career. Without
overstating it, it could change lives.

These courses are free to kids, but they have a budget to pay instructors.
Please drop me a line if you are interested in helping.

Enjoy your weekend

Cheers