[LRUG] [JOBS] Team Lead wanted for BBC R&D Internet Research

Sean O'Halpin sean.ohalpin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 05:15:40 PDT 2012

Hi LRUGgers,

BBC R&D Internet Research and Future Services are currently looking
for a Team Leader to head up a team of four software engineers and
liaise with producers, designers and management. While it's primarily
a tech lead role, there will be some line management involved.

The full job description is here:
http://careers.bbc.co.uk/fe/tpl_bbc01.asp?newms=jj&id=44337&aid=15716

The closing date is Sunday 5th August.

This is a fixed term contract of one year with a possibility of
extension or conversion to a continuing contract. It is a Grade 9D
role in BBC terms which covers a range of salaries which you can see
here:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/foi/classes/disclosure_logs/rfi20111146_salary_ranges_aug_2011.pdf.
In London, the range is approximately £40K to £60K/year.

You would be tech lead on a BBC internal tool called Snippets which
enables people to search for video within our research archive (which
covers all BBC output for the past 5 years).  This uses innovative
technology and techniques which you would be expected to master. Some
really cool stuff in there :)

We're using Rails as the frontend but the bulk of the heavy lifting is
done with background jobs managed under resque. The bg jobs include
video transcoding, frame grabbing, metadata collation and
analysis. All these services are made available via REST APIs
implemented using Sinatra.

The system is deployed across a number of hosts. Pretty much all of
the Ruby code is backed by thorough tests. There's even some Scala in
there.

Among those who developed the code base are such LRUG luminaries as
Matt Haynes, Abdel Saleh and Anuj Dutta. It's a very impressive piece
of work.

While the tool is becoming very popular within the BBC, it is still
primarily a research prototype. Among other things, we are currently
planning to incorporate novel techniques to search audio archives
based on our original research (which has a strong machine learning
applied to audio slant).

We think this is a great opportunity for excellent Ruby programmers
who are looking for a stimulating challenge and the opportunity to
lead a team of highly skilled software engineers.

In IRFS you'd be working with some of the most interesting, fun and
intelligent people I've ever had the privilege of working with,
including fellow LRUGGER Chris Lowis. To find out more about our work,
please visit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/researchanddevelopment/weeknotes/.

Don't hesitate to contact me directly for further information.

Best regards,
Sean O'Halpin
Acting Lead Engineer, BBC R&D IRFS