[LRUG] Surveys on Rails

Kevin Monk kevin at mangoswiss.com
Wed Mar 14 06:26:36 PDT 2012

Hi all,

Thanks for your help. It's actually a 360 MSF tool for appraisal and some of the respondents (customers) will be completing the forms on good old fashioned pen and paper so another feature is the tracking side of things. It may include some Optical Mark Recognition integration for printed forms too. Administrators need to see who has responded and fire off chaser emails etc.  The admins also need to enter the responses from the pen and paper users so I think we'll need something built into Rails unless the survey system has an excellent API.

Riccardo/Tony - We're using MongoDB as we have your typical EAV (sparse matrix) problem with some of the other areas of the app. Thanks for the links to gems and info. I knew that people must have needed this before and it's interesting to see that some others have seen the match up between surveys and NoSQL - smells like a document, looks like a document, store it like a document.

--- WARNING - this reply contains a non premeditated nested job_attributes ---
We're about to recruit two more developers to work on this product and I'll be putting up a posting with the [JOB] tag and further details later in the week (including all the company details! :)) but if anyone is interested in the roles then I'm happy to hear straight away. We're based in Crystal Palace and the app uses Rails 3.1, MongoDB and Backbone.js. It's a product for the NHS market and as a joint venture, the majority of the profits go back into paying for NHS services - doctors, nurses, facilities etc. We're a start up in the sense that the joint venture has been running for just over a month but our order book is already filling up. Happy with either contractors or permanent.

It's a good time to be a Ruby dev! - Plenty of jobs about.*
-- END Accidental Job Advert --

Plenty of food for thought.

Thanks a lot,

Kevin.

* But this is the best one.

On 14 Mar 2012, at 10:43, Ian Kynnersley wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> Could you direct them to http://surveymonkey.com/ ? I guess it depends what you need to do with the responses but it's arguably the simplest solution for you and your administrators.
>
> Cheers
> Ian
>
> Ian Kynnersley
>
> http://iankynnersley.co.uk | +44 (0) 7973 420 829 | http://twitter.com/kpopper
>

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Kevin Monk <kevin at mangoswiss.com> wrote:
> Hello LRUGers,
>
> We have a requirement for a user generated survey tool so that an administrator can construct a questionnaire with radio buttons, textfields, checkboxes etc.
>
> It feels like we're reinventing the wheel. This might be an unusual request but we'd be interested in purchasing existing code if anybody has some kicking about in a git repo getting dusty? or if you have any advice on how best to approach surveys in rails?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kevin.
>

> Kevin Monk
> Technical Director