[LRUG] What do people want to do with their career?

Jon Wood jon at blankpad.net
Wed Mar 28 03:27:18 PDT 2012

To clarify, I don't expect someone to be an expert in a month. I totally agree that it takes years to get to that point. A month is about how long I reckon it would take to get to no longer being a net-negative for the team you're on, and in a position to pick up a project and (with coaching and code review) deliver it to a good standard.

The process of training a new developer is a long one, but I don't think there's a better way to learn than working on real software.