[LRUG] What do people want to do with their career?

Stevie Graham stevie at twilio.com
Wed Mar 28 07:59:14 PDT 2012

I think it depends on programming experience. When I learned Ruby my
previous programming experience was in PHP, I found it harder to learn Ruby
with all the powerful and elegant concepts it provides. As I became
proficient in Ruby and a more experienced programmer in general, I started
to think about programming in more abstract terms and not merely how to
implement something in X.

Learning iOS for example I have found actually pretty easy, despite
initially being put off by the syntax and relative verbosity. It's
reasonably doable in a month, i.e. to be productive to the point where you
can charge other people money in good conscience. This does not apply if
you do not know write software already and of course you're not going to
know all of CoreFoundation or UIKit in a month, but there are great docs
and Xcode has method auto-completion, which helps :)