[LRUG] How can you tell if TDD was used on a project

Damon Allen Davison damon at allolex.net
Wed Mar 21 06:47:47 PDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Chris Parsons <chris.p at rsons.org> wrote:

> That would be a fun dojo to run, actually... give teams of 2-3 people a
> spec to work to, and an hour to do it.
> Half the teams have to write tests. The other half are not allow to write
> any tests.
> At the end, compare the production code, talk about the experience, and
> see who managed to complete the spec...

I suspect that might put the TDD team at a disadvantage since the nature of
TDD means it takes longer at the outset.  It's likely obvious to most of
you, but seems the value of TDD is much greater when you go back and
revisit/refactor your code or need to add something to it—you have the test
scaffolding in place to make sure you don't break things. I also think it
encourages good design for the usual reasons, but also for the simple
effect of increasing the amount of thought time that goes into a given
design.

It *would* be an interesting discussion, especially if the results turned
out to counter-intuitive.

--

Damon Allen Davison
Music industry technology, photographer and filmmaker, master of philology,