[LRUG] server admin UI on VPS?

Riccardo Tacconi rtacconi at gmail.com
Mon May 21 11:26:29 PDT 2012

Hi,

I had a similar problem and we were using CPanel. I have not installed
passenger on CPanel but I managed that server later, I remember I updated
Passenger to a new version; it was on Linode. It is possible to install
passenger on CPanel, it usually uses CentOS. Compile and load the Passenger
module. Then you can create a virtual host and change it to load your Rails
app. I think virtual hosts are under the user's home directory. Apache
files are under /etc/httpd. It is not so different from installing
Passenger with Apache.

On 21 May 2012 19:52, Viktor Tron <viktor.tron at gmail.com> wrote:

> **
> Thanks guys, I am already using linode as my preferred VPS.  Linode admin
> console is more like managing your VPS/account.
> But the point is to give the client a UI to administer things. A UI better
> than calling me to change stuff :)
>
> OK so let's be specific.
> Sure installing a blog and a forum probably easy.
> What tools if any allow:
>
>    - manage emails, maybe mailing lists
>    - manage subdomains, do GUIs exist for nginx/apache?
>    - detailed web access analytics GUI
>    - manage ftp accounts
>    - view db directly (like phpMyAdmin)
>
> thanks a million
>
> On Mon, 21 May 2012 18:32:11 +0100, Chris Adams <mail at chrisadams.me.uk>
> wrote:
>
>  I'd second James on the Linode recommendation.
>
> You'll get more server your money than if you go with AWS.

> --
> Chris Adams
> mobile: 07974 368 229
> twitter: @mrchrisadams
> www: chrisadams.me.uk
>
> On Monday, 21 May 2012 at 18:29, Ed James (Alt) wrote:
>
>  Hey,
>
> It sounds like you need full control of your server, so you're probably
> better off going with a provider like Amazon or Linode. You'll get a
> bare-bones server install and the rest is up to you, so if you're not
> afraid of the sys-admin side of things this is what I'd suggest.
>
> The Linode admin console is ok, but their tech support and prices are
> excellent.
>
> --
> Ed James
> Sent with Sparrow <http://www.sparrowmailapp.com/?sig>
>
> On Monday, 21 May 2012 at 18:25, Viktor Tron wrote:
>
>  Hi lruggers,
>
> Sorry for this offish email, but so many clever web people here I wanna
> hear you.
>
> I developed a rails app. The client also wants to do a lot of management
> on the server on the same domain, ideally including:
>
>    - blog (wordpress)
>    - forum (ideally seeded with a phpforum export, but not crucial)
>    - manage emails, maybe mailing lists
>    - manage subdomains
>    - detailed anaylytics
>    - ftp accounts, manage access
>
> Since for background jobs I almost defo need root access we opted for a
> host that offered cpanel-based managed server with root access.
> Now apart from the fact that cpanel feels like a thing of the past and
> looks like a monster if you look on the server, I also failed to hack
> apache config to handle my rails app (running on passenger)
> (I simply wanted 2 vhost entries, non-ssl one redirecting to the the other
> on ssl, already something impossible to do)
>
> The above seems like a pretty reasonable list of things to want. Now my
> question to you. How is this best done?
> I do not mind to install wordpress myself and get my hands dirty if you
> suggest good solutions to the other tasks?
> [...]

Riccardo Tacconi
Ruby on Rails and PHP development - System Administration
VIRTUELOGIC LIMITED

http://github.com/rtacconi
http://riccardotacconi.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/rtacconi